Friendships Are Made
A safe, well supervised environment where new and healthy friendships are made…..and fall down, belly laughs happen every day!
Help with Homework
Tutoring is always available to help with homework, studying for major tests or preparing for midterm or final exams.
Mentoring and Guidance
All of our volunteers have gone through training and a background check. There is typically 1 adult mentor for every 5 teenagers.
This photo was taken during student led music at New Frontiers Leadership Camp.
Sports and Activities
There is always something fun going on at The Spot. We have many indoor games and access to basketball courts, with our local church partners. We also head out for adventures like Kayaking, tennis workshops, pickleball, and street hockey.
From the outside, 108 Ward Ave in Carthage Tennessee looks like one of the many historic buildings that line the roads around the Smith County Court House, but on the inside…. IT’S ANOTHER WORLD!
Young people need reliable access to places where they feel safe to explore their interests and opinions. Youth programs that offer a safe environment provide opportunities for young people to explore their world, develop skills, and gain a sense of belonging with peers and adults as well as explore their individual identities.
What is “The Spot”?
• A Fun and Safe environment for youth to hang out with friends and enjoy a family-style meal.
• An After School Mentoring program open to all Smith County youth in grades 5 through 12.
• A Positive Youth Development program empowering students to make healthy choices during a critical decision-making time of their lives.
• An opportunity to provide a safety net of services and resources for youth and families with local community partners.
• A place to learn about and build social, emotional skills and behavioral skills needed to succeed in school and in life, and contribute to our shared future.
The SPOT is a FUN place to hang out, a safe place to be yourself. The SPOT is all about helping junior and senior high students make good choices.
Activities at”The Spot”!
- Arts and Crafts
- Music Studio with guitars, keyboards, drums and more
- Mentoring and help with homework
- Music Lessons
- Meals and Snacks
- Community involvement with service and giving back
Resilience is built by fostering relationships that are:
SAFE – free from physical and emotional harm.
STABLE –familiar routines, people and places.
NURTURING – sensitive care and encouraging development.
What does “Safe, Stable, and Nurturing” look like?
• Monday Girls night includes dinner, mindfulness projects such as art, and mentoring on “Real Life Essentials” such as building self-esteem and empathy for others.
• Tuesday Guys night includes a meal, sports such as basketball, flag football, and street hockey. These offer the experience to learn “Real Life Essentials” such as sportsmanship and team building.
• Wednesday is MUSIC Workshops to build assets that kids need to succeed. It can be a coping mechanism for what life throws at us. And for some kids, it is their “SPARK.”
• Thursday is “Choosing to Change.” An eight-week class for youth from Juvenile Court to build skills for better decision making and avoiding risky behaviors.
• Leadership Camps
• Service Learning Projects
• Real Life Essentials are taught in Public School And Home School settings.
97% of children that come to THE SPOT expect to graduate from high school
69% volunteer in their community at least once a year
80% say that Youth and Family Resources has a positive impact on their health & fitness